Registration from abroad
If you stay longer than 4 months in the Netherlands
Would you like to stay from abroad for longer than 4 months in the Netherlands? You must, within 5 days of arrival, make an appointment and come in person to get registered. Do you have a partner and/or children who also need to be registered? Then they have to come along with you.
You can only be registered if you have a valid residential permit for the Netherlands.
Make an appointment
Resident outside the EU: make an appointment If you have a nationality other than one of the EU countries.
- your valid travel document (passport or id-card) A driver’s license will not be accepted.
- a rental contract (original copy) or proof of ownership or written permission by the owner of the address you are staying at (including copy of owner’s identification)
- the completed form of registration:
- all documents you have, such as a birth certificate, a marriage certificate, a certificate of “registered partnership”, divorce certificate or evidence that the marriage is dissolved by death. Documents from certain countries require legalization or an apostille. You will receive more information about this during your appointment.
If you move to Holland from Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, Sint Eustatius of Sint Maarten you also need
- proof of deregistration
If you wish to be registered you must have a valid residential permit. You automatically have this in the following cases:
- you have the Dutch nationality
- you have the nationality of a country in the European Union, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Iceland
- you have a valid residential permit
- you have handed in an application form for a valid residential permit at the IND (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst). You may wait for the outcome of this application in Holland
If you have not yet applied for a residential permit, but you do have an MVV (Machtiging tot verblijf), you must make an appointment to be registered in the Meierijstad, before going to the IND to apply for a residential permit. You will receive more information about this during your appointment.
We will registrate you as soon as possible. Within 4 weeks, after registration, you get a letter that you have been registrated and how you are registrated.