Registration from abroad

If you stay longer than 4 months in the Netherlands

Would you like to stay from abroad for longer than 4 months in the Netherlands? You must, within 5 days of arrival, make an appointment and come in person to get registered. Do you have a partner and/or children who also need to be registered? Then they have to come along with you.

You can only be registered if you have a valid residential permit for the Netherlands.

Make an appointment

Resident EU: make an appointment An overview of all EU countries.

Resident outside the EU: make an appointment If you have a nationality other than one of the EU countries. 

Bring along

If you move to Holland from Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, Sint Eustatius of Sint Maarten you also need

  • proof of deregistration
Registration conditions

If you wish to be registered you must have a valid residential permit. You automatically have this in the following cases:

  • you have the Dutch nationality
  • you have the nationality of a country in the European Union, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Iceland
  • you have a valid residential permit
  • you have handed in an application form for a valid residential permit at the IND (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst). You may wait for the outcome of this application in Holland

If you have not yet applied for a residential permit, but you do have an MVV (Machtiging tot verblijf), you must make an appointment to be registered in the Meierijstad, before going to the IND to apply for a residential permit. You will receive more information about this during your appointment.

How long will it take

We will registrate you as soon as possible. Within 4 weeks, after registration, you get a letter that you have been registrated and how you are registrated.

Information for migrant workers

For labor migrants who live and work in the Netherlands: